Special Interest Posts

Questions or comments? please contact me at......

Copyright

Please do not copy any images and/or contents of this site without express written permission. Thank you.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Sunset & Chili………

As the sun was setting and the warm glow was shining in my kitchen I was running to get my camera. It was time to start dinner but the sunlight and the reflection of the bananas and the robin’s eggs in my granite island stole my attention. Nothing new.

chili night 002

Those of you who read my blog know that the morning or evening sunlight has a way of interrupting all things I am supposed to be doing. The color is just so spectacular to me!

Isn’t the reflection amazing? And my counter is actually quite dusty...don't be fooled! I certainly didn't have time to dust it or I would have missed the shot. Not that I didn't think of it! chili night 003

Back on track…..tonight is Chili night. I love when my guys say that they want chili because it is easy, quick, inexpensive and I usually always have the ingredients on hand. Best of all, we can get 3 nights of dinners. Whoohoo! As you can see below, I make a huge pot.

What you will need: One yellow onion, 2-3 stalks of celery - sliced, 1lb Italian seasoned turkey meat, 4 cans of beans (your choice). I like to use (1 red kidney bean,1 pinto bean, 1 chili bean & 1 black bean), 1 cup frozen corn (optional), 1 large can petite diced tomatoes, 1 package chili mix, 3 cups water.

chili night 015

chili night 009

Sautee onion and celery, add meat and brown. Once the meat is browned, add the rest of the ingredients (do not drain the beans) and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Top the Chili with shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream! Bon Appetite!

chili night 017

The second night you can top a large baked potato with the leftover chili and the fixin’s!

chili-potatoes

Third night and my favorite, (Chili Salad). Fill a bowl with crisp shredded iceberg lettuce and top it with the chili and cheese! Kind of like a taco salad ....YUM!

shredded-lettuce

During these tough economic times, these three meals are filling and very inexpensive to serve ~ yet they are still nutritious.

Enjoy!

~Cheryl~

Popular Posts